The South Bellingham Rail Siding: Why it should be included in the GPT permit
Why the Bellingham Siding Construction needs to be in the Gateway Pacific Terminal permit application
1) GPT cannot operate without adding new rail capacity through Bellingham; that makes the infrastructure a necessary component of the project.
2) The GPT application should be treated like any other permit in Whatcom County and include all required
infrastructure in the permit plans.
3) Claiming this siding may be needed at some future date for some other reason is not relevant to the fact of its
current need for GPT.
4) All options identified for additional rail capacity include new infrastructure within the City (see last item).
5) The costs of mitigating increased train traffic impacts on waterfront access, existing businesses, emergency
services and future economic growth will be enormous.
6) Inclusion of the Bellingham siding in the permit application is the only guarantee that local taxpayers are not stuck with the bill.
To read an expanded list, please CLICK HERE.